If you’re new to insurance or haven’t been to the doctor in a long time, here are some tips to help your visit go smoothly from check-in to claim:
- Get there early. Plan to get there early to fill out any forms. Tell the doctor’s office that this is your first visit.
- Bring your ID card. Show the front desk your new member ID card and use it to fill out any forms.
- Ask questions. Bring any questions you have so you won’t forget to ask them. Write down the answers and tips your doctor says to try, too.
- Know what you have to pay at the visit. Check your plan to see if you have a deductible, copay or coinsurance. If so, you will need to be ready to pay the doctor’s office.
- Check your EOB. After your visit, you will get an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) form that will tell you what your plan paid for your visit and what you may owe for any other care like tests or lab work your doctor asked you to have.